Contact Our Edgewood Office 859-757-4234


Contact Our Edgewood Office 859-757-4234


Quality Family Law Representation

"Because It Matters"

Can you request a modification of your child support?

If you are a parent who is paying or receiving child support in Kentucky, it is essential to be aware of the process for requesting a modification. 

The guidelines for child support payments are set by statute, and the amount you pay or receive may change if there is a significant change in your circumstances. 

How Kentucky calculates child support payments

In Kentucky, child support is calculated using an “income shares model.” The first step is to determine both parents’ combined monthly gross income. This includes income from all sources, such as wages, salaries, tips, commissions, self-employment, interest and dividends, rental property, retirement benefits, and alimony from a previous marriage. 

Once the combined income has been determined, each parent’s share of the total is calculated based on their relative income. The next step is to determine the basic child support obligation based on a schedule that considers the number of children and the combined income of both parents. The minimum amount that a parent can pay is $60.

If you wish to modify your child support payments in Kentucky, you will need to contact the Cabinet for Health and Family Services. You will need to submit the following:

  • Your gross monthly salary and other sources of income
  • The amount you and the other parent pay for your child’s healthcare
  • Any money you pay towards childcare expenses, court-ordered spousal support, and child support for prior-born children

A new child support order will be issued if they approve your modification request. Working with a legal representative can help ensure you have the correct forms and guide you through the child support process.